3D Systems has announced that they plan to purchase approximately 80% of the French company Phenix Systems in July 2013. After that they intend to launch a takeover bid for the remaining 20% of the shares.

Phenix Systems manufactures Direct Metal Selective Laser Sintering 3D Printers that can build with a variety of materials including stainless steel, super alloys and precious metals.  The printers are primarily used within the aerospace, automotive and medical communities.

3D Systems is a leading provider of 3D printing products for professionals and consumers. They also provide CAD, reverse engineering and inspection software tools. The acquisition of Phenix Systems will compliment the 3D Systems line by integrating its Selective Laser Sintering technology into their portfolio.

"Phenix represents the perfect strategic fit for us and we are thrilled to welcome François Reymondet, Patrick Teulet and their entire team to 3D Systems once the deal has closed," said Avi Reichental, President and CEO, 3D Systems. "Our complementary capabilities in advanced manufacturing are sure to result in current and future direct metal solutions that will delight our customers."