The MakerBot Thingiverse app options just got a whole lot more mobile.
Thingiverse is MakerBot's global design community that features more than 200,000 downloadable digital files.
The new Android app will have the same features as the iOS app. That includes the ability to easily search Thingiverse, browse featured 3D designs, and view the community's most popular items. Users can scroll through slideshows as well as collect and quickly share directly from the app to social networks or email accounts.
"Bringing Thingiverse functionality to the fingertips of our community has always been a goal of ours and now, with the Android version of the app added to the already popular iOS version, Thingiverse users can access their favorites 3D models, collect and share them and view them on an Android or iOS device, whether at work or play," MakerBot CEO Bre Pettis said.
Some of the features of the new Android app include:
- The ability to upload and share photos can be used to update profile and cover images from a phone.
- A dashboard that offers a carousel of featured things and updates.
- The explore function allows users to scroll through the latest and greatest things and see new and noteworthy items, featured items, popular items, made items.
- The ability to like and add items to collections, and then share on social networks.
- Thing detail screens have photos of items, full screen slideshows of the designs, descriptions, instructions and license information.
- User profiles offer cover images, custom avatars and descriptions of the Thingiverse member. Users can also follow other users, and see designs and made things based on profiles.
- Search is also included to find designs and search on topics or browse through the expansive Thingiverse library.
- When printing something, the app also provides an opportunity to take a photo, upload it and associate the image with a Thingiverse thing.
- Thingiverse settings are also accessible via the app.
Apple recently selected the iOS Thingiverse app as "One of the Best New Social Networking Apps." The 1.1 update has been submitted to the Apple App Store for approval.
Updated features update includes the ability to:
- Add photos to thing designs. The MakerBot Digitizer desktop 3D scanner scans can be posted to Thingiverse.
- Browse your own collections and favorites in your user profile or browse collections in all user profiles.
- View and respond to comments on thing detail pages.
- Receive push notifications when new designs are published to Thingiverse or a MakerBot Digitizer scan is published, as well as the ability to easily add your own photos or respond when a user follows you.
MakerBot's Thingiverse is a 3D design community for discovering, printing and sharing 3D models. It has more than 160,000 members and over 200,000 downloadable free digital designs. The site and apps are great places to learn about 3D printing, share ideas, customize 3D prints, remix and collaborate. There are even "superstar designers" that share their design files, which you can download, print, share and use to get inspired.